It’s a long weekend and the last bank holiday of 2012, inspired by what some of the team here are up to we wanted to share a few ideas on what to do this weekend……
1. Embark on an adventure: pack lightly, go to the nearest train station, take the first train and see where you end up. Pitch up a tent or discover a local B&B. Chat to the locals, eat, drink and be merry.
2. Go foraging by taking advantage of this year’s bumper crop of blackberries. Top tips and some recipes:
• take a plastic bag or a Tupperware out picking along the brambles
• don’t pick anything below knee height as these could have been dirtied by animals
• rinse your pickings well in a sieve until all the bits have gone and the berries are all clean
• make a crumble (you’ll need about 900 grams of berries for a crumble for 4 people)
• make blackberry gin or vodka with them (you’ll need about 400 grams for this for 1.5 litres of gin or vodka) or make blackberry and apple ice lollies in the freezer (you’ll need about 200 grams for six lollies along with apple juice).
3. Go to the races with lots happening at racecourses across the UK – check mail order diflucan your local racecourse online, get in the car, with free parking often nearby and spend the afternoon outdoors watching the races. You may even make a pretty penny
4. Festival fever? If you want it, it’s probably happening – check www.efestivals.co.uk or http://www.ukcountyshows.co.uk/ for your local show, pop along and support the local businesses that are selling food and drink, let your hair down and enjoy the entertainment. Oh and wear your wellies as it may very well be raining!
5. Special mention for Notting Hill Carnival! Always amazing and well worth a visit
6. Make like a surfer. Pack your wetsuit, head down to the South West on the A303 and M5 with all the other surfers, find a campsite and hit the waves in Newquay, Watergate Bay or Croyde only getting out when your fingers are completely wrinkled
7. If you want to stay home, now is the perfect time to start your winter vegetable garden
8. Learn to make bagels and fresh pasta…yes, we have been watching the Great British Bake off!
9. Go back in time and play all your favourite car games on any long journey. I spy…….
10. Does anything beat lying in the park enjoying a relaxing with a picnic with friends?
Whatever you get up to, have fun!